Tuesday 27 October 2009

HALLOWEEN CUPCAKES - BAT MUFFINS!


OK so apparently Halloween is not just the 31st October this year but started tonight and could run up till Christmas if the little kids in my neighbourhood have there way. When the door bell rang tonight and 3 little ghosts shouted 'Trick or Treat' I gently informed the little ghouls that they were a day early, only to be told by chief ghoul "we're going on holiday tomorrow can't you give us something now, money will do!" Looking shocked and sounding more like my mother than ever before I replied, "I'm sure money will do but firstly I haven't got any and secondly I think you're missing the point - come back in an hour and I'll have something for you". Never wanting to be outdone and certainly not by 10 year old boys I went straight to my kitchen and whipped up the following.

CHOCOLATE BAT MUFFINS

Difficulty level: Easy peasy
Cost: £2.00 for 12
Great for: Cheeky ghosts
Make time: 25 minutes prep
30 minutes cook

Ingredients:
250g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
150g caster sugar
175ml milk
2 large eggs beaten
100ml light olive oil
75g plain chocolate
Black writing icing.
Betty Crocker frosting in chocolate

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 170C/375F/Gas mark 5
  2. Line 12 hole deep muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Stir in the sugar.
  5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix lightly together.
  6. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cases.
  7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. To be sure they are cooked push a cocktail stick in the middle and it should come out clean.
  8. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
  9. When completely cool cut the top of each muffin off. Then ice the top of the muffin and cut the top in half and place in the icing to create bat wings. Finally take the black icing tube and add the eyes.
These Muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days although unsurprisingly my cheeky neighbourhood tricksters were back in an hour, ringing the bell and threatening to throw eggs on my doorstep unless they got their treat -at least it stopped the demanding of cash.

Happy Halloween!

CM X




Leave a Comment